Denise and Tom wanted to cook something with me so I chose a good looking recipe from my new Rachael Ray cookbook! Everything Lo Mein. We fired up the laptops and cooked over skype. I only cooked half a recipe and they made a whole one. If you follow the recipe exactly, I would double the amount of sauce you make. Otherwise, the pasta will be a bit dry. I also will probably add a little more garlic next time I make it. Shrimp would be really good in this as well as fried tofu.
Everything Lo Mein
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Serves: 4 servings
* 3 rounded tablespoons hoisin sauce
* 3 tablespoons dark soy, eyeball it
* 3 tablespoons water, eyeball it
* 2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
Everything Lo Mein:
* 1 pound spaghetti
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 3 chicken breast cutlets, thinly sliced into strips
* 3 thin cut pork chops, thinly sliced into strips
* Black pepper
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 2 inches fresh ginger, chopped or grated
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 6 scallions, cut into 3-inch lengths then sliced lengthwise
* 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters, seeded, then sliced
* 1 small can sliced water chestnuts
* 2 cups fresh bean sprouts, 4 generous handfuls or 1/2 pound shredded cabbage, your choice
Mix together sauce ingredients and reserve.
Bring pasta water to a boil, salt water and cook spaghetti to al dente.
While pasta cooks, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large, nonstick skillet over high heat. When oil ripples, add beaten eggs and scramble them to light golden brown, remove and reserve.
Season the meat with salt, pepper and coriander. Heat the remaining vegetable oil to a ripple, then add meat and stir-fry 4 minutes, push meat to the side and add ginger, garlic and veggies. Stir-fry veggies 2 minutes, then drain and add pasta and eggs back to skillet. Pour sauce over the spaghetti and toss to combine. Turn off pan. Toss 30 seconds and let the liquids absorb.