So, I saw Rachael Ray make this gyro deluxe platter the other day and I just HAD to try it. I followed the recipe exactly except I added 1 clove of garlic to the chicken gravy for the fries.
Ground Gyros Platter Deluxe
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007
* 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach
* 1 sack waffle-cut frozen fries
* 2 pounds ground lamb
* 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, a couple of palm fulls
* 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
* 1 tablespoon chili powder, a palm full
* 1 tablespoon coriander, a palm full
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/3 palm full
* 2 to 3 pinches ground cinnamon
* 1 cup feta crumbles
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 cup Greek yogurt
* 1 small clove garlic, grated
* 1/4 cucumber, peeled and grated
* 1 lemon, juiced
* 2 vine ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
* Hot pepper rings, sliced banana peppers, for sandwich garnish
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 2 cups chicken stock
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 8 pita breads
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Defrost spinach in microwave.
Place fries in oven on a baking sheet.
Place lamb in a bowl. Add grill seasoning, 2 teaspoons cumin, chili powder, coriander, oregano, cinnamon and feta crumbles. Wring the spinach dry in a kitchen towel and add to lamb. Mix the lamb and form a long 3-inch roll on a baking sheet. Coat lamb with extra-virgin olive oil and bake 20 minutes.
Place fries and lamb in oven and roast 20 minutes.
Mix yogurt, a grated clove of garlic, cucumber, the juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Slice and reserve the tomatoes, cucumbers and drain hot peppers, chop and reserve.
In a small sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Add Worcestershire sauce and whisk in stock. Season gravy with salt and pepper and reduce 5 minutes.
Soften pita over open gas flame or under broiler.
Slice lamb loaf into 1/4-inch slices. Spread yogurt on pitas and top with a 2 slices of lamb, tomatoes, cucumbers and hot peppers. Serve 2 pitas per person. Serve fries with gravy for dipping alongside.
That much meat makes enough for 6 easily tho. There were 4 of us eating and we had one whole log leftover. When I watched the show, she cooked the meat in 2 smaller logs to make it cook faster so I did that as well, even though the recipe didn’t say to.
This was really great and very easy to make. You can substitute ground beef if you can’t get lamb or choose not to eat lamb. I hope you try it!